(Video) Adding another VPP Star
In April, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) recognized the operations of Marathon Petroleum Corporation's (MPC's) Terminal, Transport and Rail (TT&R’s) terminal in Speedway, Indiana, as a Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Star worksite. An award commemorating the location’s distinguished safety record was presented to employees at a celebration, complete with special guests, cheers, and a flag-raising ceremony.
The program, which aims to prevent fatalities, injuries and illnesses in the workplace, improves safety performance at participating sites. At the reception, Indiana Deputy Commissioner of Labor Tim Maley highlighted that the 81 recognized Indiana VPP sites have decreased incident rates more than 70 percent below the industry average. Lauding MPC's performance at this location, he said, “It’s real easy to remember [this location’s] rate because it’s 100 percent below your industry competitors, which means in the last three years that we looked at, you had no serious injuries.”
TT&R’s Speedway operation joins 9 other MPC locations that have obtained VPP Star status. The reception recognizes the tremendous teamwork on all levels necessary to achieve this milestone. Greg Herold, Transport and Rail manager, emphasized the evolution of culture that this certification helped inspire. “I’m a firm believer that the people of MPC really make the company what it is, and I also believe that without the commitment to safety demonstrated by our employees, this would not have happened,” he said.
- Speedway Terminal was lauded by OSHA for its superior safety performance.
- John Swearingen, MPC senior vice president, Transportation & Logistics, shakes hands with terminal employees.
- At least five other MPC sites are in various stages of working toward the VPP Star designation.
- There are a total of 81 recognized Indiana VPP sites.
- A celebratory mood set the stage as the staff of the Speedway terminal raised a flag designating it as a VPP Star worksite and enjoyed a luncheon together.
- A commitment to safety at Speedway Terminal helped earn the prestigious VPP Star recognition.
- Our Speedway Terminal joins nine other MPC facilities that have earned OSHA's VPP Star status.